Monday, November 16, 2009

Get 'er done

Renovation madness is alive and kicking at the Ward castle these days. For months now April and I have relentlessly renovated every nook and cranny of our happy home. We've installed three glorious skylights, replaced every single window with energy-efficient bad boys, and bestowed upon the royal puppies a brand-spanking-new doggy door! It's been a labor of love really. A gigantic hug to our quirky house with its quirky quirkiness.

I can hear you asking, "Did you really do all this yourselves? I thought you guys were a bit unqualified for such work!"

Well, first of all I am insulted! How dare you imply that I am incapable of such manual labor. But now that I've calmed down a bit, I'll answer your question - Heck no we didn't do this ourselves! Are you crazy!! If you put me in front of a saw I'd hack my arm off. I'd fall off the roof. I'd pound nails into my thumb ... You get the point.

We may not be weekend warriors, but our brand of "checkbook handywork" gets the job done every time. And all it took was a nice sizeable loan we'll be paying off for a few decades or so. It's the American way! (We will get a nice tax return, so thank you Obama!).

The final installment of our renovation madness will take place tomorrow. And it will be fantastic! April and I spent several hours yesterday moving book shelves into a rather unique room in our home. This room has rotated between a TV room and an indoor hockey room over the years. We've finally decided to make it a small library with books and everything. Just the thing that "grown-ups" would have in their home! So now we've got book shelves (with books!), a nice rug and a small end table. All that is missing are chairs.

Boy do we have that covered! Tomorrow a delivery truck will pull into our driveway. Smiling movers will emerge from this truck and proceed to move two large, plush, cushy, cozy, dreamy Lazyboy recliners into our little library! Oh yes, we bought some Lazyboy's baby! Time to hibernate for the winter.

So now I'm sitting in this extremely uncomfortable wooden chair in my kitchen, dreaming of my cozy, comfy recliners. I just have one question - Is it tomorrow yet?

Sit back and relax kiddies!

- Dave

No comments: