Monday, March 8, 2010

Got June on my mind

I'm thinking about June this morning. And sunshine. Definitely lots of sunshine.

But it's not exactly what you think.

Yes I can't wait for summer to arrive, but my thoughts concern a different sort of June. Namely my wonderful Grandma June, who's infectious smile always brings visions of sunshine. Grandma June suffered a stroke Saturday night and she's currently in the hospital. April and I were devastated when we first heard, but the news is not all bad. She's recovering nicely and should be transferred to a rehab facility in the next couple of days.

And best of all her smile is still very much intact. Very much infectious. Very much a light to treasure.

April, Michael and I piled in the Matrix and drove for a visit yesterday. The moment we entered the room Grandma June unleashed that trademark smile and I knew things were going to be okay. That's the thing about Grandma June. She always makes you feel good. I remember visiting her as a little boy and hearing her laugh at the top of her lungs over nothing in particular. She would smile, beam really, and laugh and before you knew it you were laughing and you didn't know why. You just knew you were happy and life was great.

That's Grandma June.

Yesterday was a good case in point. All of the relatives were huddled around the room in a bit of a gloom. Grandma June wasn't having any of that. She was making jokes and laughing and making us all feel better. God bless her.

Her health hasn't been good lately and there are times when that smile plays a little hide and seek. But it was back in full force yesterday and we were all lucky be there. There are challenges ahead. The right side of her body is really weak, and she really can't lift her right arm, but I can tell you one thing - Grandma June is up to the task as always.

"Just watch me!" she said. Smiling from ear to ear.

- Dave

No comments: