Thursday, September 10, 2009

Moova' Shaka'

I'd like to start out with a grand announcement (so hold on to your cereal!). I am writing this very blog post on my new laptop! That's right. Ole' Dave went and purchased himself a fancy-shmancy portable computer thingy (or as I like to call it, "My awesome baseball, Netflix and Facebook machine"). Now it can be my blog machine as well. Oh the possibilities are endless. Can't you just see the difference in my prose? I realize now how much sitting at a boring desk was holding back my genius. Now I'm mobile baby! I can spew forth my brilliance from the kitchen counter, the patio, even the park. Watch out world, it's time to smell what The Dave is cookin'!

So let's give this a whirl, shall we? I'd like to start my inaugural laptop blog post with a little story about my new source of inspiration. I've been handed the key to happiness in life, and I have none other than Hank Moody to thank for it. If you don't know, Hank Moody is a fictional character on what I consider quite possibly the sleaziest, trashiest, craziest show ever broadcast over the airwaves - Californication. It's absolutely fantastic!!

Hank is a devil-may-care author with a penchant for booze, drugs, rock n' roll and sleazy women. And, of course, he's got a heart of gold. Picture Jack Kerouac living today in Los Angeles, only with a teenage daughter that he adores and an on-again, off-again girlfriend that he worships. This guy is simply the coolest character out there. (Now would be a good time to insert that I am hopelessly addicted to any cheesy soap opera that I watch. Beverly Hills 90210, Felicity, Sex and the City, Weeds, Dallas, I love them all!! It's a sickness. I just can't help myself! I've long ago moved past the point of being ashamed of myself for loving shows like Californication. I've just accepted the fact that God made me this way, and it's his fault. Bring on the sleaze!).

I realized during a marathon session of Season 2 last week that I absolutely worship Hank Moody. And not for the obvious reasons, either. You know, the fact that every supermodel-worthy woman that crosses his path ends up, um, spending quality time with him. I'm a one-woman guy (sorry ladies) and the idea of having "sexual relations" with anyone but April is absolutely laughable.

So, what is it about Hank Moody that leaves me in awe? It finally hit me - The guy lives completely and utterly in the moment. Wherever he is, whatever he is doing, he is THERE! He never worries about the future. When he's with his daughter, he is 100 percent with her mentally. When he's out at some crazy party, he is experiencing everything around him fully. It creates a sort of optimism that is intoxicating. A "anything can happen" attitude that I've always wished I had.

So, in honor of Hank Freakin' Moody, I've spent the past week or so trying to live in the moment. Hank-Moody-up my outlook. And you know what? It's worked! I've been happier than I've been in a long time. When it's time to walk Michael to school, I'm there fully. When it's time to go to some crazy meeting, I'm there fully. When it's time to feed the dog, I'm there fully.

It's amazing. Apparently Thich Nhat Hahn was on to something with his "mindfulness" teachings. I read "The Miracle of Mindfulness" last year, and it really didn't resonate with me. Leave it to my screwed up brain to draw out this same lesson from quite possibly the raunchiest show ever created.

Whatever works, right?

There is one minor drawback from living in the moment, Hank Moody style. As a stay-at-home parent, living Moody style makes it quite easy to forget what day it is. This happened to me last week. I was mindfully spending quality time with my new laptop on Facebook, when suddenly I bolted upright in my chair.

"Crap! It's Wednesday and I'm supposed to pick Michael up from kindergarten early!"

I had about 30 seconds to run out the door and around the block to the school.

Then again, that is exactly what would happen to Hank Freakin' Moody. So I guess I'm on to something after all!

Enjoy life kiddies!

- Dave

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Californication eh? I learn more about you every day David! Isn't it always the case that we learn very obvious wise tid bits of life from the most contradictory experiences!