Monday, January 19, 2009

I never believed baby!

Cardinals DE Bertrand Berry holds up the NFC Championship trophy.

Deirdre Hamill/The Arizona Republic


The Arizona freakin' Cardinals have done it. After half a century of futility, the Red Birds have shocked the world and captured the NFC championship. In two weeks they'll be knocking helmets with the vaunted Pittsburgh Steelers in the Super Bowl. It's a story for the ages.

I have emerged from my bomb shelter this morning to relay one final message before the pending apocalypse finally materializes. I just want the world to know that as a true anti-fan of the Arizona Cardinals, I never believed in them during this entire improbable run!

That's right. Unlike all of those bandwagon anit-fans, I was steadfast in my disbelief. No wishy-washy hate you today, love you tomorrow for me! No matter how well they played. No matter how inspiring their story became. I refused to waver in my disbelief.

When the Cardinals reached the playoffs for the first time in a decade, I didn't believe they would actually win a game. When they were losing to the Atlanta Falcons at halftime of the playoff opener, I thought to myself, "Well, it's been a great ride. Maybe they can build on this next year." When they traveled to Carolina the following week, I thought the score would be something like 33-13. But NEVER for the Cardinals! Get real here.

And yesterday I watched the Cardinals blow a big lead in the second half and threaten to choke away a chance at immortality. "That's more like the Cardinals I know and love," I thought to myself. Wearing my disbelief on my sleeves.

Well the Cards followed with a gutsy fourth-quarter comeback against the Eagles that didn't resemble anything the team I've watched over the years has ever done. It severely tried my disbelief. Tested the magnitude of my anti-faith.

But don't worry. I'm riding this wagon of disbelief all the way to Tampa baby! Do I think my beloved Cards have any shot against the Steelers in two weeks? Heck no! The Steelers have five Lombardi Trophies. They're an NFL icon. A symbol of championship lore dating back to Mean Joe Greene, Terry Bradshaw and the Steel Curtain. The Cardinals shouldn't even show up!

So for all of those bandwagon fans out there loving on the Cardinals this morning, just remember - You can't stop disbelieving in your team after one historically-wonderful, tear-inducing, life-altering, thrill-ride for the ages! You have to remain true in your anti-fandom! Right?

Go Cards!

Are you ready for some football kiddies?

- Dave

No comments: