Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Duck Hunting

I usually try to avoid the topic of sports in this space. In my previous life I was a sports writer spending nearly every waking moment either thinking or writing about sports. High school football, college basketball, professional rodeo, horseshoes. You name it. When I started this blog I made a pact that I would avoid the subject of sports at all costs. I wanted to broaden my horizons and seek out new life and new civilizations.

I must say I've been rather successful in this endeavor so far. Unfortunately all good things must come to an end. On that note, here goes nothing ......

MY BOISE STATE BRONCOS DEFEATED THE 17TH RANKED OREGON DUCKS LAST SATURDAY!!!!!!!!! IN EUGENE!!!!! THIS IS AWESOME BABY!!!

Head coach Chris Petersen (known simply as "Pete" in these parts) took a team filled with freshmen and sophomores into Autzen Stadium and pulled off a colossal upset. And the best part about it? I was there!!

My Dad and I piled into the Matrix last Friday and proceeded to invade the land of a thousand Dairy Queens for a weekend of good ole' college football. God bless America!! We endured an eight-hour drive and plenty of diner coffee, but it was worth it! I wish I could tell you that we withstood a barrage of attacks from evil Oregon Duck fans, but truth be told, the green and gold faithful were actually kind of nice. No scratch that. They were EXTREMELY nice. Apparently Oregonians spend their free time welcoming visitors. You know, when they're not enjoying delicious Dairy Queen meals.

My Dad and I had dinner Friday night at a local Outback Steakhouse. While waiting for a table, we sat down on a bench next to several Oregon fans. We were wearing our blue and orange Broncos gear and they didn't boo, throw stuff, or punch us. They actually started chatting with us about Eugene and the game. It was like a weird alternate universe where fans are friendly to each other and I'm suddenly really good at math.

We had the same experience standing in line for a shuttle to the game. An Oregon fan tapped me on the shoulder and I immediately braced for the "Boise sucks!!" insult. I got this instead .... "You know, the Fiesta Bowl has to be my all-time favorite game ever." What?!! (For those not from Boise, he was referring to the 2006 Fiesta Bowl where Boise State defeated Oklahoma in overtime on a trick play that nearly gave me a heart attack. In Boise all you have to say is "Fiesta Bowl," and complete strangers will immediately begin cheering).

We entered a pregame party at Oregon's indoor football facility and were immediately surrounded by hordes of green and gold. What did these fans do to the blue and orange out-of-towners in their midst? Why they came up and shook my hand, that's what! They said spiteful things like, "I really like Boise State, just not today," and "You guys have a great program." The nerve of these people!!

During the game my Dad and I cheered our lungs out for the Broncos and nobody threw tomatoes. Immediately following the game several Duck fans turned to me and said, "You've got a good football team. Good luck the rest of the way." Walking back to the hotel a driver rolled down his window and yelled, "Congratulations!"

The only negativity I encountered during the entire trip occurred when a group of Oregon students pointed to their shirts that read, "I farted ... and it smells like Boise State." I've got to admit that made me laugh, which says all you need to know about my level of sophistication. After enduring this onslaught of niceness for two entire days, I am at a complete loss for words.

One final thing. My Dad and I discovered quite the oddity while driving home. Apparently there are people in Oregon who feel compelled to pull their cars over, place their blizzards in the cup holder, walk out into the middle of the highway and throw their shoes over power lines. I can't explain it. I only know what I saw.

Go Broncos!!

- Dave

No comments: